I like to see a task through from start to finish, if there isn't a finish I have a problem. I first discovered I had an almost obsession with this from my first job while working for Cutter & Buck. I worked on an assembly line finishing the embroidery work and folding shirts. Boring, tedious and back breaking work! The tables came below my hips so it was a lot of bending. The problem was I kept trying to see the end in sight which was never going to happen no matter how fast, how hard or how long I worked. I can't even begin to say how frustrated I got with that!
I have since found that I only experience that crazed behavior when I have a task before me that has no apparent end. Last year my sis despite protests of how I don't like videogames put on Escape From Monkey Island. I started last January and stayed up several nights till 2am, determined that I would finish that game! I didn't and when I returned in April, which was also when I met Jeremy I finally finished it, of course it meant a few really late nights but I did it! Rachel then suggested Katamari, thankfully that is not an addictive game, at least it hasn't had the same hold on me.
Jeremy and I recently got a Wii and with the Wii you can get the Nintendo original games. He asked if there were any game I really liked and I confessed I really liked Kid Icarus. It reminds me of summer visits to Grandma and Grandpa Van Duker's house. Grandma could beat all of us at any video game, she is one cool grandma! Jeremy decided to go ahead and get Kid Icarus for our Wii. Unfortunately this is one of those games that really has a hold on me like Escape from Monkey Island. I am ashamed to say how many hours off and on over the weekend it took, but I beat it!
As a consequence of the aforementioned facts I generally don't like to play videogames....
I wonder if there's a support group for this unhealthy addictive behavior?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Like everything, practice makes perfect.
ReplyDeleteI recommend playing more games so you can practice putting them down for he night. Worked for me. :)