Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Substitute Teaching

Yesterday I worked as a substitue teacher for the first time. I count myself very lucky because I had Sophomore Honors English assigned to me. I am currently signed up to sub for 6th grade tomorrow in Syracuse and next Monday I will be at Antelope Elementary in Clearfield. I had to turn down a few Music and Science classes last week due to the BYU Women's Conference. I think substituting is basically glorified babysiting.

I have considered becoming a teacher after my kids are all in school that is if I don't home school. What other job pays someone else to cover your work? True a teacher's salary is low but the hours aren't too terrible. I am disappointed from what I have witnessed of the academic standards here. I don't think it is all the teacher's fault as some of their ciriculum is dictated by the school board, state and federal government. It seems that they are catering to the weakest students, (some of which is not a lack of ability but motivation) even in the honors classes which is a poor strategy.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the substitute teaching! Have you checked out charter and private schools to teach in the future? Depending upon the school (ie NOT Challenger) you may have more flexibility than in the public schools....

    Bummer about all of your appliances. :(

    ReplyDelete