Thursday, May 14, 2009

Cost/Benefit Decision

Jeremy and I rented a carpet cleaner because my grandparents are coming to visit this weekend and we're trying to erase all evidence of a pet take over in our home which is pretty much the case when you have nine cats and previously a little dog.

This is the second time we're having our carpets cleaned. First was after his roommies moved out and we wanted the house to look nice when we returned from our honeymoon. Thanks to Aunt Lisa and Jenn for making that happen! :)

It looked really nice for a while but despite what the cat lady from the fostering program raved about kittens just "knowing" to use the litterbox, we found this really was just a ploy to convince us that having two litters of kittens would be just fine, no trouble no mess. Heh! Contrary to popular belief, kittens like puppies go through a training period however unlike puppies kittens have very sharp claws and climb everything on top of the potty training issue. For the first 4 weeks of their lives they don't know how to retract their claws. Our carpet, furniture and bodies are all evidence of this little known fact.

As I've been cleaning all the rooms in our home today I started to think how often this would be repeated throughout our lives..... My parents finally broke down and got a carpet steam cleaner after my brothers were in their late teens, I'm sure in preparation for grandkids as my brothers were definitely housebroken by then. Considering the rental cost versus how many times we probably will need to have this done throughout our lives, I'm thinking it might just be cheaper to invest in one of these little things.

1 comment:

  1. We ended up buying a carpet cleaner, because the kids were so messy. Right after purchasing it, we moved to a place with wood floors! But it still comes in handy for rugs, chairs, couches, etc. I say it is a worthwhile investment.

    ReplyDelete