Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Driving UK Style

So after almost 2 weeks of insisting I was never going to drive in the UK, Jeremy decided I needed to quit walking around the pool and jump in.  So despite protests I did it.  I almost had a panic attack trying to park in the parking garages here which is like parking an oversize vehicle in an economy spot.  For the record none of the vehicles are huge here.  I've seen few minivans and I once saw a truck.  Our new car, yes we bought a car is a 2004 Volkswagon Golf, and just about the same size as the Honda we sold for reference in size, just a little taller but the same width.  Supposedly you can fit 5 passengers in it but we haven't tried that yet.  So back to the parking garage, it was full so I was saved from doing that at least this time.  When we did find a place to park I'm happy to report I was perfectly straight in the spot and there was just enough room on either side to slip out.  I can see why it makes sense to not drive and do lots of walking here.  You really can't be too big if you plan to drive anywhere, you'll be stuck in your car in maybe the best or only parking spot available because even with the best parking job you're still wedged in your own spot.

I am happy to report that we did make our destination safely.  I did not hit any cars, curbs or pedestrians along the way.  I still think I will stick to my original plan of lots of walking.  It's still a risk being a pedestrian because you never know when a car will decide that the piece of sidewalk you're occupying is going to be their parking space, but I still think overall the benefits outweigh the risk.  Walking is free, no gas payments or parking fees.  Time saved driving is spent circling all over the place trying to find a place to park and once you do find a place you're a slave to the parking meter hoping you finish your business before it greedily seeks a second helping.  Also walking avoids the moment of panic when a car is coming head on at you fast because there isn't space to stay in their lane, and they are locals so they drive fast, meanwhile you are driving on the correct side, slowly, cautiously, all while second guessing yourself and triple checking with your hands, ok left makes an "L" with your hand right does not, ok yep I'm on the "L" side.




No comments:

Post a Comment