Friday, August 16, 2013

Potty Success!

So off and on since Gwendolyn was 18months I've been introducing the potty to her.  We had a set back when we moved here and then another shortly after we settled in as the downstairs toilet decided it would not work and it took our landlords 3 months to fix it.  Since it's been fixed Gwendolyn and I have been working on first getting over her fear of the toilet and then getting her to actually use it.  We finally got over the deathly fear part but success in using it was another story.  I've been locking both of us in the kitchen which is where the toilet is located and spending almost the entire day in there with her.  It's given me an opportunity to do some deep cleaning and if we had freezer space, this would be the ideal time to do freezer meals.  Unfortunately that is not an option as our freezer is the size of a long cupboard.  However to keep the kid busy in between tries I have a bag of art supplies consisting of crayons, beads, paints, playdoh, colored popsicle sticks, glitter, glue, pipe cleaners, etc.  We also have made dinner together and pretzels, breads, pretty much anything to keep her busy.  After a few days of me being on my feet almost all day, (every time I try to sit she tries to sit on me and that is not going to fly since she still has accidents even in her pretty undies), I was getting discouraged but determined we would have success.  I put her on the potty again, read her a book, and then let her play with the game on the wall by the toilet.  She happily sat there and played for a while and then started reaching for the TP.  Usually this is a sign she is bored and unrolling the whole roll of TP is far more interesting, plus it gets mom's attention real fast.  I asked her if she was done and she said "no" however that has been her favorite thing to tell us even if she means yes; I checked for good measure and lo and behold we had success!  I praised her over and over and we finished the potty steps together and she got a sticker and 5 M&M's as a reward.  I have been giving her just one for trying to go even if there isn't success to get her to want to at least try.  Unfortunately her "no" this time was an actual no and she had a little accident less than two minutes later.  I'll still take her one success as a victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment