Andrea and I have been working hard this week to prepare to perform Haydn's Creation with the Utah Symphony and Chorus. It's been fun thus far, but I've been sick late in the week.
Last night we had the first performance. The maestro for this performance is Jeffrey Kahane. He kind of reminds both of us of Gene Wilder and Andrea was thinking it would be really fun if he broke out into a song from Willy Wonka or something :). He is one of the more genuine and sweet directors we've had while I've been here. At the end of the performance, he made it a point to give credit to all of the individual musicians who did solos - which were many - the creation of the the animals section had lots of interesting sounds, including one from the bassoon that sounded like something got stepped on.
The Soprano was amazing. As she sang, the maestro kind of drifted away occasionally. She made the difficult sections seem effortless.
Anyway, it's been a fun but busy season thus far for us with the chorus. We did the Messiah Sing-in last week with very little rehearsal time and then we've been preparing since August/September for this piece. Then in two weeks we'll be in a holiday pops concert.
Even though I've been sick, I've enjoyed going to the rehearsals and then the performance last night with Andrea. It's kind of fun to do dinner and a symphony like that :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment